Southern Cross Care Tasmania Group, which includes Southern Cross Care (Tas) Inc. and Mary’s Grange Inc. is a not for profit organisation and Tasmania’s leading aged care provider and one of the State’s largest employers with over 1100 full and part time employees.
Southern Cross Care (Tas) Inc.
In 1972 Southern Cross Care (Tas) Inc., an initiative of the Knights of the Southern Cross, built a cluster of independent living units in Launceston so that seniors could remain self-sufficient and active within their local community.
The Knights advocate respect for the dignity of each person. This remains at the heart of the Mission of Southern Cross Care.
What followed was the growth of a range of residential and retirement living facilities and a Home Care program.
1976 – Guilford Young Grove Senior Citizens village in Sandy Bay opened – 56 residential care places and 36 independent living units.
1991 –Yaraandoo at Somerset opened – now 82 residential places and 10 independent living units
1994 – Rosary Gardens in New Town acquired from the State government – now 133 residential places.
1994 – Home Care (formerly community care) program commenced. Home Care. Now provides services to over 600 clients.
1997 – AA Lord Homes acquired from Society of St Vincent de Paul – 84 units at West Hobart and 13 units at Taroona.
1998 – Sandown Apartments and retirement village in Sandy Bay – now 69 residential places and 34 independent living units.
2002 – Mount Esk (formerly Nazareth House) at St Leonards acquired from the Sisters of Nazareth – now 98 residential places.
2004 – Glenara Lakes at Youngtown opened – 88 residential places and 93 independent living units
2006 – Ainslie House in Launceston – 60 independent living and Ainslie Nursing Home and Hostel – 69 residential places and 34 independent living units at Low Head acquired from the Ainslie House Association.
Saint Canice lifestyle village at Sandy Bay – 36 independent living units
2015 – Fairway Rise at Lindisfarne opened – 104 independent living units and 91 residential places.
Mary’s Grange Inc.
An aged care facility at Taroona was opened in 1957 by the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart in The Grange homestead. A new purpose built aged care facility was completed in 1970. The Sisters handed the facility to the Archdiocese of Hobart in 1986 and the Little Company of Mary assumed responsibility for the operation of the service.
In 2002 a retirement village of 20 independent living units was opened.
Southern Cross Care assumed governance and management responsibility for Mary’s Grange in 2016. Today Mary’s Grange provides services to 105 residential care places, and 36 independent living units.